December 11, 2012

The Smelting of Iron

Derek found a bunch or rocks containing Iron Ore. He built a forge out of clay from the farm and smelted a bunch to make some steel.  I don't know much about it and the pictures are kinda crummy because I don't know how to use my camera in the dark, however, you can get a good feel of the process... and if you are a little lost don't worry... you'll still be a bit fascinated.
Pounding the Iron Ore



Adding the pounded Iron Ore



The little forge in the daylight... it actually worked! I was a little surprised. I had been rather rolling my eyes at the whole idea. ;)

Breaking it open the next day to get the steel pieces out.


Sorting


So I guess there's lots of pieces of steel in that but also a ton on impurities and slag so it'll need a lot of refining.

And this is how I left him.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment