April 6, 2009

Duck Stamp Judging!

The judging for the Jr. Duck Stamp competition was April 2nd this year. Our state coordinator invited some friends of ours (who also had kids competing) and our family to come for a private tour of the Big Muddy Wetlands facility/grounds and to watch our art be judged.
I preoccupied myself with the camera most of the time (of course) dedicating myself as THE PHOTOGRAPHER. However, after we got home I realized that THE PHOTOGRAPHER never got very many pictures of her family! So, these are what I've got....



We started with the tour led by Mr. Kemble. He was a great guide and made everything very interesting for everyone!



Kayla with her hat... I might add that one of the pictures I missed was of all three girls in matching dresses and hats....tsk, tks, tks...


Our friends, Joy and Anna, standing by the Sturgeon tank.


Some of the lucky kids got to look in the microscope!
From there, we went outside (where it was drizzling) and also to another building that was too dark to get good pictures where they had great big tanks of Sturgeon in various stages of life and sizes....

After the tour, we went back to the building where the art work was being judged.
We were greeted by this hilarious cooler that was stashed under the volunteers food table.

There were hundreds of pictures to be judged. I think this is two categories laid out.


Brady's pictures is being judged! ( I probably shouldn't have taken pictures during the judging as it must have been a dead give away of whose it was but I WAS told that I could take as many pictures as I wanted sooooo....)


After the judging, those present were given the opportunity to talk to the judges (several were wildlife artists themselves) about their artwork and how to improve. It was a very neat experience!!!




Me with my entry. WOW. There is a BIG difference between the first place pictures and the second place ones like mine. Lots of room to improve!!!


And finally, after some nail biting and nervous giggling on my part (again another give away!), the BEST OF SHOW winner was picked. It was drawn by Rebbecca Nastave. (sp!) She's won once before as well and even has gone on to win nationally!

The Ymker results were:
Abby 2nd
Brady 2nd
Kayla*HM
Libby HM

It was a good day and lots of fun!!!

*Honerable Mention


No comments:

Post a Comment